3.04.2008

Natural Reaction


So , we're having a baby, which is cool. It makes you think alot, though. Not in an overly philosophical way, b/c that rarely goes anywhere further than worshiping your own intellect, but in a "Why do we innately act the way we do?" kind of way.

Why is it a natural reaction of loving each other (emotionally & spiritually, not just in the sexy way) to have a baby? I have my theories--partially biology, but even more so supernatural. Our love is so great (quality and "quantity"), we want to share that love with someone else...someone new.

But why is it so weird to us? I don't think it is any secret that there is more to this world than just what we see. We create lots of beautiful things simply for the sake of creating them. We stand in awe of nature's beauty and power. Maybe humankind has been chosen to be the stewards of all these good things: art, compassion, beauty, love? Maybe we've misused these things so horribly for our own selfish reasons that good, right stuff strikes us as weird and we have to sit around and overthink it. Like I'm doing...right now.

I don't think I'm some amateur philosopher, but right now this is the kind of stuff we think about. So please comment. Really, leave your thoughts. If you don't then our blog is just sad and weird.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love the blog. seriously! and you guys, of course! hold up... am I the first to comment? shall we say, "ta-dow!?"

the baby is beautiful, and such a fantastic, incredible, amazing person already, i'm sure! and definitely a reflection of the life that we live beyond our tangible "everyday life" here.

it has always seemed mysterious to me(and more so as times goes by) that the most common and natural constant of life (birth) is also the most life-changing. The thought that a life, a soul, a person comes into existence from 2 other people is phenomenal in and of itself, but then to think of the bonds that pre-exist to its parents and the life and lineage that continues on is incredible. only Someone very creative must have thought up such a crazy process...

:)

Talk about overthinking.

I'm seriously SO estatic for you guys. can hardly wait for the williams baby!!!

Anonymous said...

First off, I'm not sure who this Faith character is, but your baby is not beautiful. It's a little gray and white blob in the middle of a bunch of black.

Beautiful? More like freaky. I don't want this Faith person around the baby if she is always going to be high like this.

Maybe when little Patty is born and cleaned up, then he/she'll be beautiful, but right now I say stay the f away from that thing.

And on a lighter note: I think you're right Patrick. I don't just think we are stewards of these things, but being made in God's image for me means being made to create just as we are created...through art, knowledge, relationships, babies. And you hit on a good point--we wreck these things continuously--get them wrong, miss the point, and thus are surprised and ill-prepared to respond to those moments when this reality slaps us in the face.

Call it biological, call it supernatural, or call it metaphysical. Whatever. No one explanation can get it right. It's all in the return, the response, even if our response is a simple acknowledgment of creation's goodness.

Like the goodness of your honkey ass.

*And I'm just assuming we can cuss on this blog.